Posted on July 19, 2012
On July 27, 2003, after a party at a block-mate’s house, I kissed C at a coffee shop, and my life was never the same… Kasi mula noon, inassume na nya na dahil hinalikan ko sha eh dapat maging kami na… ako naman si gaga, naki-ride.
So here we are, almost 9 years later, and we’re still blaming each other kung sino ba talaga may kasalanan kung bakit naging kami.
With our upcoming 9th year anniversary I am left again in a quandary – what in hell’s name am I supposed to get him this year??? You would think that because my boyfriend has been known to be a very down-to-earth, simple guy that I wouldn’t have problems getting him anything… but no… maarte talaga sha.
I have tried giving him gifts in the past, what with my measly allowance back in law school, coupled with my constant gallivanting and drinking sprees, I did manage to give him some things that I thought were pretty nice… I got him a watch, perfume, some shirts before I think. When I started working I got him a belt, wallet, shoes etc…
There was even a time when I used to write him little notes and cards and sappy love letters…but after a couple of years, and I realized he wasn’t writing me back and in fact REFUSED to write to me longhand, or even effin email me a love letter, I stopped doing it too – it was just getting ridiculous.
These are the things that I know C REALLY likes (in no particular order):
- Transformers action figures (a.k.a. toys — he claims he was deprived when he was a child coz he always got hand me downs from his koko); they are not to be taken out of the box AT ANY TIME. His mom even wrapped each one in plastic. He has about 4 balikbayan boxes full of these. When we get a house, his toys will need it’s own room at least.
- Graphic Novels – fine, I like these too. So it could really be a toss-up between getting him the entire Walking Dead series or Batman.
- Zombies – yep. He loves them. We have an emergency plan and everything in case there is a zombie attack. We have a meeting place, a preferred location, what things to grab for, where best to find food, etc. He has books on it, reads about it on the net
- Contemporary Art – happy, colorful paintings of maybe Lamarroza, photographs by F. Callaghan (kailangan i-plug, kaibigan namin yan), or sculptures by Michael Cacnio, and the like… hello naman, wala pa ako sa level na nagreregalo nang ganyan.
- Dogs – another thing that I share with C is our fondness for our little canine friends. But considering that neither of us have time to take care of any right now, it will just have to wait until we have our own little home, and I can get it a yaya.
- Fish – And not just any fish. Buti sana kung pwede ko lang sha bilan ng Nemo na naka-plastic bag jan sa Baclaran. C has been obsessing about getting an arowana for about 5 years now. He has books on it, and a video documentary, and I have a feeling that his ultimate goal in life is to have an arowana farm. Pucha naman, eh yun gusto nya na aquarium kalahating milyon na…maawaing diyos…
- White Addidas Sneakers with blue detailing – … looooorrrd almighty father creator of heaven and earth… puro yan ang meron sha, promise. Minsan pag kasama ako kunwari titingin sa blue, or brown, or black na sneakers…but then his little Chinese eyes always just end up looking at White Addidas Sneakers with blue detailing…
- Baguio – I hate the cold. I ain’t taking him there.
- Play Station – He bought PS 3 when it just came out. He has played with it for maybe a total of 72 hours since then. He just likes knowing that he has it around.
- Really good kare-kare – a.k.a. MY mom’s kare-kare. Nuf said.
Truthfully, none of the above appeal to my sense of gift-giving.
I was making him kulit the just last night. I had to go and ask him na kasi I’m just totally at a loss already — and I was getting irritated that he was watching the Ginebra vs. Talk n’ Text game while I was talking to him (Btw, sorry Coach Chot, you’ve been awesome… and iba pa rin talaga ang Barangay Ginebra). Sinagot naman ako ng loko — “Can you get me a nice tie?” … exciting noh?!
I wanted to tease him since he always just goes to work in his polo barongs that he claims are awesome because they don’t crease and are really easy… but then he looked so earnest. I guess he wants to start looking more grown up now that he’s 31, and he’s heading to bigger and better pastures VERY SOON (hehehe! Sa mga friends, wag muna mashado maingay…)
Well, I guess I’ll get him a tie then… and give it to him Pretty Woman style … hee hee hee!!! Now, did Julia Roberts have her hair up or down in that scene…???