Hindi ako fashonista. Mahilig lang ako sa damit. Yes, I used to read fashion magazines…like maybe 6 years ago. I don’t do that anymore. Nothing against fashion mags, and I do browse it from time to time if there’s something lying around. But, it just doesn’t do much for me.
Secondly, I hate shopping. Never got the knack for it. I am not one of those girls that rush on to sales or go around the mall looking for things to buy. I usually buy out of necessity… like there’s a themed party, a wedding, or my mom insists that I get something… I won’t painstakingly shop. Did that with my mom when I used to go shop with her, and I may have had my fill. So I walk in, take one look, if there isn’t something that pops out for me, I just shimmy on away…
I won’t purchase a dress or garment or shoes unless love at first sight sya for me. And when I say love…enduring love yun. I have dresses, blouses, shirts and skirts that I have purchased over 5 years ago and I still wear them. I am very careful with my clothes. That white off-shoulder number I wore for our Live, Love, LOLz interview with Karrots — I’ve had that for 9 years… bought it for P500 at the Robinson’s Mall in Marcos Hi-way, Marikina.
Dress from Warehouse (3 years old)
Peep toe shoes from Aldo (2 years old)
Hair (Palmolive Healthy Shine)
Make-up (bara-bara lang)
(You can never go wrong with basic black)
I have a blouse that I still wear from when I was a freshman in law school… (yun mga undergrad stuff ko hindi na nagsurvive… actually, they didn’t survive my hips…)
My mom always says, you can own 2 or 3 dresses, it won’t matter… for as long as you ALWAYS wear them well.
Every fashion expert when asked to give advice on what to wear or to establish a style would always end with telling us regular people this — CONFIDENCE… and maybe have the basics then accessorize.
Below are some things I have picked up along the way, that helped me come up with my semi-decent wardrobe:
1. Acknowledge your personality.
Sounds corny to some, but this really helped me a lot. Eh sa bruha talaga ako eh, I am loud and proud and pa-glam and sensual… so I know the clothes that will match my personality.
2. You won’t get it right all the time.
Hit or miss. Minsan marerealize mo na lang — “Da hell am I wearing?!” Just keep on walking girl. Remember, CONFIDENCE.
3. Look people straight in the eye and they don’t really notice what you’re wearing.
Well, maybe this doesn’t apply if you’re wearing a big orange jumpsuit to a dinner gala, but you get what I mean. Much as I hate to admit it, we do tend to dress for other people rather than for ourselves. But, the outer part, the facade, only lets them go so far… Genuine people want to know you, your thoughts, what you’re about, whether you’re interesting or not.
4. Always have the basics. Always.
Let’s be honest. We need clothes. And it is a demonstration of good manners to be well-groomed at least. For us girls, it goes a little more, because we tend to prettify ourselves in our own unique ways. Here is a quick list of things that I think every girl should have:
– The LBD. The one that can go from work to cocktails at night without a fuss. Just retouch your make up for an evening look and you’re good to go.
– The white button-down shirt. It could be a tailor-fitted one, or your boyfriend’s tuxedo shirt, as long as it looks clean and crisp. It can go with shorts, jeans, slacks, pencil skirts, ball-gown skirts…literally anything
– For shoes: nice black high heeled pumps; ballet-flats (though I would never wear them unless they were covered in rhinestones…MAYBE) a sexy sling back, p*ta heels for clubbing or going out, and sandals
– The Statement Accessory. It doesn’t have to be expensive. It could be a necklace, a bracelet, a brooch or a scarf. As long as you feel like you are the woman that you are when you have it on.
– A clutch. There are a lot of great Filipino made clutches. Tangkilikin ang sariling atin. Check out Aranaz…or those ones made of seashells, mother of pearl and capiz…
– The jeans that make your ass look hot. It’s out there somewhere…and if you already have one…love it, keep it, cherish it… because a pair of denim jeans is the most versatile piece of clothing that you can have
– good-fitting underwear. Ladies…please lang… as much as possible no VPL (visible panty lines) and get bras that don’t make it look like you have another set of boobs at the back. Consult your friendly sales lady when buying, they can help you get the proper size.
This is the best make-up ever. It lights up your face and you can even fool yourself into believing that you are actually happy, and it just changes your whole disposition.
6. If you’re not convinced about #5 then…
Mascara, Blush, Face powder, Red lipstick and Nude Lipstick.
And if you dont naturally have curled up lashes, make sure to curl them… it opens up your eyes and the rest of your face.
Remember: you don’t need to be fasyon to look fabulous.