First time I ever heard of drinking lemon water was when I was still working in the Senate. Our Office Manager, Tita O, is probably one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met, and she’s fabulous at 60++ She told me one day that one way to keep healthy is to drink alkaline water. Ako naman, bilang impressionable, listened to her wholeheartedly. I mean, if the woman looks that good at her age, I was going to listen to all the beauty tips she had to offer.
Best thing about it was how to make alkaline water — you just put a couple of slices of fresh lemon in your water, and viola!! You are instantly alkalined up!
But what are the benefits of alkaline/lemon water? Well, for one thing, lemon water is a cure and a cleanse.
According to the Body Clenz Holistic Health Center which specializes on internal cleansing, the following are the 5 Major Benefit of Drinking Alkaline Water:
Detoxify your body to remove normal acidic waste products accumulated daily, plus remove toxins accumulated in your body from your environment, prescription drugs, unnatural foods and from the “normal” process of aging. Acid wastes collected in the body can lead to more serious health conditions. Drinking alkaline water daily can neutralize the acidity and wash acid waste products from cells and tissues.
Hydrate your body: this is basic to maintain or regain optimum health. During ionization your alkaline water filter forms your water into micro clusters that are more easily absorbed at the cellular levels thus “super hydrating” your body.
3. OXYGENATE / ANTIOXIDANTS
Alkaline water acts as an antioxidant, scavenging for and neutralizing harmful free radicals. Because alkaline water has the ability to give up electrons, it can effectively neutralize and block free-radical damage to the body. Ionized alkaline water seeks out free radicals and converts them into oxygen which your body can use for energy production and tissue oxygenation. Cancer and most other illnesses cannot survive in an oxygenated, alkaline environment.
4. ALKALIZE YOUR BODY’S pH
Alkaline water helps balance the body’s pH, which tends to be acidic because of our high acid food diet, stress and exposure to environmental toxins such as smog. Alkalize your body pH from acidic to alkaline pH, because cancer and many other illnesses cannot live in alkaline environments. Alkaline is the “normal” state of healthy persons.
5. ENHANCE YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
Enhance your immune system to maximize your body’s ability to fight off disease and heal itself.
Another worthwhile note — Beyonce drinks lemon water and lemon drinks ALL THE TIME. Well first, primarily because she’s one of those people who just hates the taste of water, which admittedly is pretty blah… And if Beyonce’s doing it, can’t be all that bad, right?
There are so many other health benefits of drinking lemon water apparently, one of which is preventing wrinkles and acne and giving your skin a healthy glow. Below is a list of 16 Health Benefits of Drinking Warm Lemon Water:
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies
- Lemons contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
- It balances maintain the pH levels in the body
- Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
- It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile
- It is also a great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases
- It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
- It helps cure the common cold
- The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
- It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
- It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
- Aids in the production of digestive juices
- Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session
For the very cheap and very easy DIY health drink, there seems to be a lot of returns from drinking this simple and refreshing drink.
So head on to the supermarket and grab yourself a couple of fresh lemons and start getting healthier by the day, one glass of lemon water at a time.